Peru Travel Information
- Hits: 1188
AREQUIPA BRIEF INFORMATION: The department of Arequipa is one having various different orographic & topographic terrains. It begins in the coastal desert and then climbs the Andes, reaching great altitudes at the snow-covered peaks and at its volcanoes. Arequipa, known as the "White City" for its beautiful white walls of "sillar", a volcanic stone, lies at the feet of the mighty volcanos of mount Chachani, mount Misti, mount Coropuna and mount Pichu Pichu.
The downtown of the city, placed on the World Cultural Heritage list by UNESCO, features mixed Baroque churches and mansions from the Colonial Period like the Monastery of Santa Catalina, a Spanish city in miniature with stone streets, beautiful patios and plazas. Sabandía, Tiabaya and Tingo, located among the large fields, are must-see places, and the irresistible Arequipa cuisine is the perfect complement to the visit it. Just 3 hours and 45 minutes from the capital is the Colca river valley & canyon, one of the most extraordinary destinations in the country. Throughout the region, you can see colorful pre-Inca agricultural terraces still used today for growing Quinua, corn, barley, potato & wheat. During the pre-Hispanic era, the department was inhabited by the Collaguas and the Cabanas; today, the inhabitants have learned to conserve their Colonial churches in Yanque, Lari & Madrigal, and they continue to wear their traditional clothing as they did centuries ago.
You can also do many types of adventure sports in the valley, such as Mountain Biking, trekking and white-water rafting. And, at the Cross of the Condor, you can view the majestic flight of the condors. Other places of interest in the department are the Toro Muerto petroglyphs, the Andagua Valley of the Volcanoes, and the Cotahuasi Canyon (the deepest in the world).
USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT AREQUIPA
ALTITUDE: Arequipa (2,335 m.a.s.l/7,333 f.a.s.l).
- Lowest point: 9 m.a.s.l/30 f.a.s.l (Punta de Bombón).
- Highest point: 4,910 m.a.s.l/16,109 f.a.s.l (Mirador de los Volcanes, Volcano Lookout, Caylloma).
CLIMATE: The city of Arequipa has a semi-arid and temperate climate with a maximum temperature of 21.7ºC (71ºF) and a minimum of 6.9ºC (44.4ºF). The rainy season starts in January and ends in March.
- By Land: Lima – Arequipa: 1,003 km/623 miles on the Pan-American Highway South (14 hours by car).
- By Air: Daily flights to Arequipa from: Lima (1 hour), Cusco (30 minutes), Juliaca (30 minutes) & Tacna (30 minutes).
DISTANCES FROM THE CITY OF AREQUIPA:
- Camaná (Province of Camaná) 173 km (108 miles)/2 hours & 30 minutes.
- Caravelí (Province of Caravelí) 382 km (238 miles)/7 hours.
- Aplao (Province of Castilla) 178 km (111 miles)/3 hours.
- Chivay (Province of Caylloma) 162 km (101 miles)/3 hours & 45 minutes.
- Chuquibamba (Province of Condesuyos) 234 km (145 miles)/5 hours.
- Mollendo (Province of Islay) 113 km (70 miles)/2 hours & 15 minutes.
- Cotahuasi (Province of La Union) 379 km (236 miles)/12 hours.
- Alfredo Rodríguez Ballón Airport: Avenida Aviación, Zamácola, Cerro Colorado. Phones: (054) 44-3464, (054) 44-3458.
- Honorio Delgado Espinoza Regional Hospital: Avenida Daniel Alcides Carrión, La Pampilla, José Luis Bustamante y Rivero, Arequipa. Phones: (054) 23-1818 / 21-9702 / 23-3812. Attention: 24 hours.
- Goyeneche Hospital: Avenida Goyeneche, Cercado. Phones: (054) 23-1313 / 22-3501. Attention: 24 hours.
- Jefatura de Seguridad Ciudadana (Citizen Security Headquarters): calle Quinta Romaña 315, Cercado. Telephone: (054) 28-4354. Attention: 24 hours.
- XI Región de la Policía Nacional del Peru (National Police of Peru, 9th Region): Avenida Emmel 106, Yanahuara. Telephone: (054) 25-4020. Attention: 24 hours.
- Tourism Police: calle Jerusalén 315, Cercado. Telephone: (054) 20-1258.
- Fundo El Fierro – FEDARA: San Francisco 415, Cercado.
- Frente de Artesanos: Mercaderes 236, Cercado. Telephone: (054) 21-2729. Opening hours: Mon. – Thur. 9:00 A.M. – 1:30 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. – 8:30; Fri. – Sat. 9:00 A.M. – 9:00 P.M.
- Patio del Ekeko - C.C. de Artesanías: calle Mercaderes 141. Telephone: (054) 21-5861. Fax: (054) 23-3575.
- SERPOST: calle Moral 118, Cercado. Phones: (054) 21-5247 / 21-5245. Attention: Mon. – Sat. 8:00 A.M. – 10:00 P.M.; Sun. 9:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M.
- Alfredo Rodríguez Ballón Airport: Av. Aviación s/n., Cerro Colorado. Telephone: (054) 44-39-67. Attention: Mon. – Fri.6:15 A.M. – 10:30 A.M. y 12:30 P.M. – 4:30 P.M. Sat. 6:15 A.M. – 12:00 P.M.
TOURIST ATTRACTIONS AREQUIPA
Arequipa have many atractions